These trousers have been on the go for rather a long time! I last worked on them exactly 10 weeks ago, when I went into labour with Olivia. So, I was rather worried that they wouldn't still fit Gemma, but was determined to get them finished. As you can see from the photo, they fit, but only just.Fabric is PRR buttons and bows cord. The dye was a Dylon cold water dye, I think it was Ultra Violet, but was so long ago dyed it I could be wrong.
As I started to make the trousers I was having serious doubts as to whether they were going to fit her. Because she is so slim, I went for a size 5 lengthened, even though heightwise a 7 would have been better. However, although they are ok round, they are not very long in the rise, and could have done with being even longer in the leg. While I was making them I decided to get some extra length in the leg I would make a feature of the bottom of the leg by cutting some off and adding another piece cut on the bias. I also changed the back pockets to be cut on the bias too. This feature is quite nice I think. I added buttonhole elastic to the waist too, so they can't fall down too!
The pattern itself was quite fiddly, with zipper, pocket inserts, a back yoke and belt loops but I think I would use it again, but just a bigger size next time. I'm hoping that she will get to wear them a few times before they really are too small. I used bright pink snaps for the waistband fastening instead of a button.

No comments:
Post a Comment